Mike Wells, author and creative writing teacher at Oxford, shares 15 mistakes in queries. We’ve posted the first five here; click on the link below to read the complete post.
If you decide to go the traditional publishing route with one or more of your books, you will need to send out query letters to agents and publishing house editors. Here are 15 common mistakes that will very likely cause your query to end up in the trash.
1. Query contains typos, misspellings, grammatical and punctuation mistakes.
2. Query lacks basic information.
3. Query contains irrelevant information.
4. Query fails to state genre of book.
5. Query fails to differentiate your book from other similar-sounding books.